Monday, February 27, 2017

The Hardest Working Man in Arena Football: Collin Taylor

The Hardest Working Man in Arena Football
by, Billy Mumphrey

 
Arena Football gets limited coverage here in the United States, often times broadcasting it’s games on ESPN3 or not at all. Ironically though it also happens to be one of the most entertaining, high scoring sports to watch with over-the-boards catches and the best Touchdown Celebrations in all of football. One of those high flying athletes is Indiana’s own, Collin Taylor. And let me tell you, Collin Taylor is a worker.
 
Wide Receiver, Collin Taylor, understands what it means to put in the work to make yourself great. Playing in the Arena Football League for the Cleveland Gladiators, Taylor, known to locals as CT, has been one of the offensive staples. In the last three years with the Gladiators, Collin has been one of the most prolific wide receivers in the game, catching at least one touchdown in the most consecutive games in Gladiators history. Last year he caught 110 passes for 1437 and 32 touchdowns in 16 games. Taylor was also the recipient of the 2016 Al Lucas Hero Jason Foundation Award, which is given to the player in all the AFL that has made the greatest impact on the community in which they play (See:
 
This past fall, Taylor was selected as one of the AFL Players to go play in the Inaugural China Arena Football League. Collin’s team, the Beijing Lions, won the championship in the first ever China Bowl; Taylor had multiple touchdowns in the game.
 
Local Big Time had the chance to interview Collin Taylor about his trip and career playing Arena Football and we were not disappointed:
 

 

1. How do you feel about the upcoming season?
Taylor: I couldn't be more excited about the upcoming season.  Looking at the roster that the coaching staff has put together this off season, on paper, this is the best team that has been assembled in Cleveland since I've been a part of the team.  We have future hall of fame defensive backs, multiple time all-arena defensive lineman, multiple time all area wide receivers, and a few solid, veteran O-lineman, and a couple of dynamic QB’s.  If I were a betting man, I would put some money on the Glads to make a big push for the Arena Bowl Championship this year.
 
2. In the Off Season you traveled to China to play in their new Arena Ball League. How was that experience?
Taylor: The CAFL experience was one of the best times of my life.  Not only was I able to travel overseas to teach the game that I love, to athletes who were dedicated to learning, but I was able to experience a culture that I was completely unfamiliar with for the first 28 years of my life.  The football was great, but the real gem of the trip, was being able to build relationships with the Chinese players, that I will be able to cherish forever.
 
3. What is the most fun thing about playing arena ball?
Taylor: I believe the best part about the arena game in the fast paced, non-stop, hard hitting action that only comes along with the rules of our game.  The game was built around the fans perspective, and what the fan would find entertaining.  Having offenses that score 70-80 points a game, with players catching 4-6 TDs a game is a fans dream, and I love that about the arena game.  Of course, playing on the offensive side of the ball, I'm a little bias to the rules and the scoring, but I truly believe that’s what separates us from the outdoor game.
 
4. How did the new expansion draft effect the Gladiators Roster?
Taylor: The expansion draft is a great opportunity for teams to be able to select top players from AFL rosters, to help current teams build their roster, with proven, veteran arena football players.  I think the expansion draft is crucial for every new team.  When DC and Baltimore had the draft, we lost some really good players, and lost a few of the fan favorites from seasons past. It’s tough for Cleveland fans to see some of their favorite players end up on different teams, but it’s just as hard for former Gladiators to make the jump to other teams due to the draft.  I wish the guys who ended up in DC and Baltimore best of luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing them when we get the opportunity to play the new teams.
 
 
5. Why are the games between the Cleveland Gladiators and the Philadelphia Soul so epic?
Taylor: 2014 was my first experience with the Cleveland vs Philly rivalry.  They were some of the most exciting, and most intense games I've ever been a part of.  We won all 3 games against them that year on the last play of the game.  I mean, imagine that, every single time the horn went off, Philly was winning, but by the time the last play ended, we finished on top.  The Teams were very evenly matched, and because we play teams 3-4 times a year, the teams really learn each other’s game plans and tendencies.  We knew Philly better than we knew ourselves, and I'm sure they would say the same about us.  In 2015, it was the complete opposite, they got the best of us in each game we played!  2016, we won 1 game, they beat us the other 3, and ended up winning the Arena Bowl Title.  2016 they were the best team in the league, and they gave us a lot of problems.  We will see them again, a few times, this upcoming season, and you can bet that they will be just as epic of match ups as seasons before!
 
6. You are notorious for scoring at least one touchdown every game and have hundreds of receptions, how do you train to make sure you are able to perform at that high level every game?
Taylor: The TD streak, to me, has just proved that what I'm doing in my everyday life, in practice, in the gym, in my nutrition, is exactly what I need to be doing, and continue doing to play at my highest level.  I am obsessed with being the best, I refuse to be outworked, and no player on this planet plays with the heart that I play with every single play of every single game.  That is how I am able to be successful.  I maintain my physical capabilities as much as I can by training hard, and training often, football is a collision sport, and I have to always be ready for that.  But I also train very hard mentally, that’s where I believe I have a major advantage over a lot of players.  To me, being the best, doesn't stop when I step off the field, it is something that I think about 24 hours a day, every single day.  I was never given anything, I've had to work for everything, and I won't ever stop playing or training with that drive, until I hang the cleats up.  I'm able to perform at the highest level because I refuse to perform any other way.
 
7. What is one superstitious quirk that you do before every game?
Taylor: Every player has certain things they do, every game, just as superstition, or something they've been doing for a long time!  I do not have a short list of odd, or quirky things I do, but I'll just name a few.  I met my best friend, Steve, who's now an accomplished news anchor, and hosts the evening news in Kansas City, when we played ball together in 9th grade.  Before every game, him and I would get together with another close friend of ours, and basically give ourselves a pump of speech.  I've continued this tradition through college, and now into the professional ranks.  I've talked to Steve, either on the phone, through facetime, via skype, and sometimes snapchat, before every single game I've played in since 9th grade, even while I was in China!  I also, and some people may be grossed out by this, drink a whole jar of pickle juice, straight out of the jar, before every game.  The sodium in the juice has helped cramping issues I used to have a few years ago, but it’s now something I do about 20 mins before kickoff.  Another one of my favorite rituals is my game day nap.  I get up super early on game days to eat breakfast, and then hop back in bed and try to nap for a few hours.  Even if the game is early, let’s say 3pm, and I need to be at the arena at 1, I'll eat at 6 AM, go back to bed at 730, and get a few more hours in before I have to get up and get moving.  Like I said, that’s just to name a few!
 
8. What are the Cleveland Gladiators fans like?
Taylor: I’ve said this since day 1, Cleveland fans are the best in the business.  Cleveland loves their sports, and we as players, love their continued support.  When we've been really good, fans have packed the arena, and when we’ve been really bad, they still come out in bunches to show their support!  Seeing fans outside of the games is great too!  They’re always respectful, and always congratulate us on successes.  The fans are one of the main reasons I continue to come back to Cleveland, I love them just as much as they love us!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your support on this.
    Look forward to hearing from you soon.
    I’m happy to answer your questions, if you have any.


    คาสิโนออนไลน์

    เล่นบาคาร่า

    เล่นบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete