Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Always a Fan Favorite: Actor Peter Shinkoda

Always a Fan Favortie
by, Billy Mumphrey


Actor Peter Shinkoda keeps knocking it out of the park. After coming to Los Angeles in the 90’s from Montreal, Quebec, Shinkoda quickly developed a reputation for not only working hard, but becoming a fan favorite in every role he played. This isn’t by accident. Peter is notorious for diving head first into all his characters, working and flushing them out until the characters appear. And with this attitude, Peter has earned roles in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Cold Squad, Dark Angel, I, Robot, The L Word, Falling Skies, Hawaii Five – O, Daredevil, Lady Killers and many more.

One of Shinkoda’s memorable roles was as Sektor in Mortal Kombat: Legacy a Warner Bros. Web Series Directed by the very creative, Kevin Tancharoen. You have to check it out; it’s pretty awesome.  And one of the most interesting facts that people don’t know is that before becoming an actor, Peter was a successful assistant editor on classic movies like Saving Silverman and Rat Race
 
 
For as liberal as the entertainment industry is, we still see a lack of Asian Actors in Lead Roles. I understand that change takes time, but it is still a major issue that must be acknowledged and solutions put in place. Peter has been a big advocate for Asian Actors Rights, while he continues to shine on the big and small screens.
 
Recently, Peter has brought to life Marvel’s Villian, Nobu, in the Netflix Series, Daredevil. (See Video Below.)  His dedication to the role has made him one of the favorite autographs to get at the multiple Cons he makes appearances at. Peter loves interacting and talking with his fans. It allows him to see the effect of his work on the people who watch the show.  Local Big Time had the chance to sit down and ask Peter a few questions about working on Daredevil and his career. Enjoy:

 

1. What was it like moving to California from Ontario?
 
Shinkoda: I was attending college in Ontario but I am from Montreal, Quebec originally. Go Montreal Canadians hockey! I finally made the move in the early 90’s but there wasn't any real culture shock because I'd been planning the move my whole life unbeknownst to my parents. I also had spent the full four previous summers in Los Angeles already - doing "recon" for my eventual "move.”
 
 

2. How was your experience acting on the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers?
 
Shinkoda: My first pro gig in Los Angeles was thrilling especially when I knew I'd be talking about the MMPR phenomenon and my contribution to it over two decades later! I still remain friends with the original Rangers to this day.


 

3. What is your fondest memory playing the character, Dai on Falling Skies? 
 
Shinkoda: My fondest memory was meeting Steven Spielberg, and making great friends in the cast and shooting some very memorable episodes that I remain proud of.
 
 

4. What was it like playing a character like Nobu and joining that Marvel Family? Is there added pressure to get it right?
 
Shinkoda: The pressure was enormous fleshing out Nobu. My body and mind still ache. Shooting constraints that I dealt with while on a very tight production schedule in NYC was extremely trying but I feel that I got the job done! Hopefully die hard Daredevil comic fans like myself do too.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment